Congresswoman Pingree Uninjured in Boat Accident on Casco Bay Last Night


US Representative Chellie Pingree

By Carol McCracken  (Post # 1,520)

Late last night US Representative Chellie Pingree and her husband S. David Sussman, hedge fund owner, were involved in a boat accident while returning from a wedding of a former staffer of hers on Great Chebeague Island in Casco Bay.

Pingree, her husband and current staffers, were riding on the Bay Express, owned by Portland Express Water Taxi, when it collided with a recreational vessel, a power boat, near Ft. Gorges in Portland Harbor.  Sussman sustained head injuries and was transpoted by the City of Portland’s emergency medical marine vessel (the Vacallaro) and by ambulance to Maine Medical Center.  There he was treated and released.  Pingree said Sussman suffered numerous cogs and bruises, but the injuries were not life threatening and he’s resting at home, according to a press release issued by her office this morning.

Congresswoman Pingree was not injured.

Jackie Potter, a former staffer of Pingree’s, was also onboard the Bay Express and suffered minor injuries and she was also treated and released at a local hospital. One person on the recreational vessel was also injured.  Bill Black, Potter’s husband was also onboard the Bay Express.

Also onboard and apparently not injured were Jesse Connolly, Pingree’s Chief of staff and his wife Nicole Clegg,  the city of Portland’s spokeswoman.

“My husband and I want to thank the quick work of the Coast Guard, who was on the scene within minutes, and the marine division of the Portland Fire Department who treated my husband and the others who were injured.  From the moment they arrived we knew the injured were getting the best possible care.  Although it was a scary night, it could have been much worse if it weren’t for the skill and dedication of everyone who responded to the accident,” Pingree said in the press release.

The Coast Guard and the Maine Marine Patrol are investigating the cause of the accident.  Both boats were able to return to shore under their own power.