Maine Political Leaders Urge Biden Administration to Extend FEMA Cost Share Measures


Rep. Chellie Pingree (D) and Other Maine Political Leaders, Including Governor Janet T. Mills, Urge a FEMA Extension.

Maine political leaders are urging the Biden Administration to extend federal cost share measures amid the ongonig COVID-19 emergency which are set to expire on April 1, 2022.  Currently, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides a 100 % Federal cost share for eligible COVID-19 emergency response measures to help reimburse the city of Portland for providing non-congregate housing for vulnerable communities, including asylum seekers.

The city of Portland is providing shelter for about 1,150 people per night in two shelters and 10 hotels across five municipalties.  the city has spent $3.6 million in hotel costs since December – 70% of those costs are reimbursed by the state and the remaining 30% is reimbursed by FEMA.  Under this structure, there is no increased cost to taxpayers.  Without FEMA’s 30% reimburement, the city of Portland would face emergency housing costs up to $9 million, targeting a possible 4.8 percent hike for Portland residents according to a press release issued by the office of Congresswoman Chellie Pingree (D) this afternoon.