The historic Union Station Plaza, St. John Street, Portland, is slated to undergo a much-needed face lift next year according to a press release issued on behalf of Charterhouse Development Corporation, a Boston-based real estate development corporation.
A “reimagining” process will engage the public and its ideas and it is expected to happen next year. Capital improvements will include reimagining facades, storefronts, tenant signs, pylon signs and parking lot re-grading. Phase Zero Designs, an out-of-state architectural firm, has been selected to “create and implement the reimagining” of the Plaza.
Union Station opened in June of 1888. It connected people by train between Boston and Maine. But in September of 1960, Maine Central Railroad ended passenger service and on October 30, the station closed. The station was demolished in 1961. The clock in the 138 ft. tower was saved and is now located in Congress Square Park in the Arts District of Portland. The demolishment of the Station was famously the start of the establishment of the preservation movement in Portland. Three years later, Greater Portland Landmarks was formed to lead the way in the preservation of historic buildings in the area.
“We are thrilled to reintroduce Union Station Plaza to the Portland market and look forward to working with this esteemed design firm,” said Meredith Roy, President of Charterhouse Development Corporation. “Through our extensive capital improvement program, we are confident that Union Station Plaza will be asethetically redeveloped and further prominently positioned as a convenient, popular shopping destination for the surrounding neighborhood.”