Thirteen renters were displaced by a fire at a 8 unit- building at 3 Sherman Street yesterday afternoon according to a press release from the city’s fire department.
A neighbor said he believed the fire began on the left, first floor apartment in which the landlord lives – its the separate entrance used by the landlord while the tenants use the door on the right side of the building. The Red Cross is assisting in finding other housing for the tenants with the hope that they will return to the location in the near future.
Just down the block on State Street, construction workers ruptured a gas line about 4:00 pm today. At 4:30 pm the smell of gas was still pervasive in the neighborhood. The fire department was called in and then following that Unitil arrived to fix the problem. A surly Unitil worker said he did not know the extent of the problem before he stomped off when this blogger asked him if any homes in the area were affected by the gas leak. Did any homes loose their gas in the area?